Flood Disaster Preparedness
BEFORE A FLOOD
- Prepare an emergency kit and make a family communications plan. (Click Here)
- Elevate the furnace, water heater and electric panel.
- Consider installing "check valves" to prevent floodwater back ups.
- Construct barriers to stop floodwater from entering the building and seal walls in basements with waterproofing compounds.
LIVE WEATHER UPDATES HERE
OR CLICK THE LINKS LOCATED IN THE MAP ON THE RIGHT FOR LIVE UPDATES
- Six inches of water will stall or cause control issues in most passenger vehicles.
- A foot of water will float many passenger vehicles.
- Two feet of rushing water can carry away most passenger vehicles including SUV’s and pick-ups.
- Never attempt to drive through a flooded road, depth is not always obvious and the roadbed may be washed away under the surface.
- Do not drive around barricades.
- Do not try to take short cuts and stick to designated evacuation routes.
- Avoid driving at night when it is harder to recognize flood dangers.