Thanksgiving brings precious family time, and lots and lots of delicious home cooked food that we all look forward to each year! If you will be one of the lucky ones who participates in cooking this annual family feast, Joyce, Jackman & Bell Insurors recommend you brush up on these below precautions to be sure it’s not just a happy holiday but a safe holiday too!
- Keep smoke alarm systems on at all times. Even if they are being overly sensitive to all the cooking that is going on in the kitchen and beeping to often – it’s better than having them deactivated when you needed them most.
- Clean your stove top and oven BEFORE embarking on cooking the big dinner. Grease fires are among the most dangerous fires, so rid your kitchen of any dangerous build up before-hand.
- Have a multi-purpose fire extinguisher at least 10 feet away from the stove and ideally on the side of the room with an exit.
- NEVER use water or flour on a grease fire – both will create a worse off situation by spreading and igniting the fire even more. Use a fire extinguisher.
- It is so delicious yes, but be CERTAIN to research all the precautions to take when frying your turkey. This has been linked to one of the top reasons fires start on Thanksgiving. Fry responsibly!
- ALWAYS use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of your turkey before serving. No one wants to spend Thanksgiving with food poisoning and serving under cooked meat is your ticket to sickville and an unexpected visit to the doctor.
- Try not to multi-task too much in the kitchen – less is more when it comes to keeping things safe.
- Keep the kitchen a pet and kid free zone to eliminate accidents. There is definitely such thing as too many “cooks in the kitchen”.
- Never leave kitchen unattended when cooking or baking! If you need to run to the store for a forgotten ingredient (which is bound to happen), have someone run for you so you can tend to the hot stove.
- If you get a minor to moderate burn, rather than using ice which could lead to more pain, run the burn under cool water and then cover with a dry sterile bandage.
Joyce, Jackman & Bell Insurors want you to have a very happy and safe Thanksgiving holiday this year. CONTACT US anytime to discuss ways to help protect your home throughout the holiday season!