The holidays are meant to be a time for fun and celebration with family and friends. However, the exciting time of the holidays can also present increased hazards, such as overcrowded stores and bigger opportunities for thieves to steal your valuables and personal information. Here are five simple tips to help you have a safe and enjoyable holiday season:
1. Watch out for porch package thieves! Theft of packages from front porches and stoops increase as online shopping drives more home deliveries during the holidays. Take advantage of electronic delivery alerts and other protections to make sure your gifts are safely delivered — and received.
2. Protect your identity! Before you go shopping, think about how much information a thief would get his hands on if your wallet is stolen. Avoid carrying Social Security cards, birth certificates or passports unless absolutely necessary. When shopping online be sure to only use a secure website, log off from that site after you have completed your purchase, and monitor your bank accounts and credit card activity regularly throughout the holidays.
3. Travel Safely! The holiday season brings a number of unique driving risks. During this time of year, we have difficult weather conditions, limited daylight and drivers in unfamiliar areas. By planning extra travel time and eliminating distractions, you can help ensure safe travels during the holidays.
4. Beware of Parking Lot Poaching! While you are in the mall purchasing gifts for your friends and family, thieves may be wandering through the parking lot looking to steal valuable items in unlocked cars. Shoppers should remember to always lock their doors, park in well-lit areas and hide expensive purchases from plain view.
5. Use candles wisely! Christmas Day, Christmas Eve and Dec. 23. are three of the top five days for home fires caused by candles. Never leave a burning candle unattended, and do not put any candles or open flames near Christmas trees or other holiday decorations that could quickly spark a fire in your home.
We here at Joyce, Jackman & Bell Insurors want you to have a safe & enjoyable holiday season. These tips were brought to you by Travelers Insurance. For more great holiday tips, go to www.travelers.com.
Kelly Dolphin is a licensed personal insurance specialist with Joyce, Jackman & Bell Insurors.